Alter-World is an area of the game that continues the storyline of Chapter 7a. It has some characteristics that difference it from other modes:
- Is the only area where Lost and Destruct Brands are dropped.
- Is the only area where the player can get Demonite and Demon Compound (used to upgrade Armaments)
- Also is the Only area where the Protagonist can be used in battle
- Each area focuses in one element type. The demons will only have Skills of that element but will also be weak to that element (for example, Yotsuya demons have Phys skills but are weak to Phys Skills).
- Every area area consist of 5 Story levels and 1 challenge level. The challenge level offers superior drop rates than the Story ones.
One of the main introduction of Alter World is the possibility to use the Protagonist in combat. It can be personalized with a series of Preset Stats called Battle Style and equipped with Shields and Swords called Armaments. The Protagonist can't be equipped with Brands. Instead, the game introduces Demonite, that has a similar function but providing a damage increase in the Demonite Element plus 2 random stats. A maximum of 3 Demonites can be equipped to the Protagonist. Also, the protagonist has a max of 15 MP. The Battle Style presents a Stat preset for every stat, including a balanced Preset. The Battle Style only can be changed in the preparation screen before beginning a quest, as the Armaments, Demonite and demons. Indepedently of the preset, the Protagonist will always act first, even if a demon with higher agility is present.
The presets are the following:
- All Dx2 Skills are disabled (including assists).
- All Pierce Nullification Skills (Drain Pierce, Repel Pierce) are negated. Barriers will be negated too.
- All demons have Affinity Shift. This makes them weak to a specific element, but reduces all damage taken from other elements. Also are inmune to critics except from the weakness.
The Overbreak system is exclusive of the Alter World
Enemy demons start with a shield that reduces damage taken massively.
An overbreak gauge is added for your party, which starts at 0%.
Once it hits 100%, several things happen.
1. Enemy Shield breaks : they will take full damage from the element of the stage (ie, Ueno demons take full damage from force), and 10% damage from other types.
2. Party MP refills to full
3. If is the enemy's turn, it ends instantly
4. Overbreak status is entered. This gives "number of demons alive" multiplied by 2, as the duration of the overbreak. So, with 4 demons alive, 8 overbreak hits are granted.
5. Once all of these overbreak press turns are used, the enemy shield comes back online.
6. Wasting a press turn (ie, on a miss) will only consume a single overbreak hit from the gauge.
The gauge fills with a number of rules. Each stage has its own max value, and this number increases with each level in the area. IE, it's far easier to hit 100% on stage 1 than stage 6.
1. +500 when a NDR (null, drain, or repel) is hit, at most once per enemy attack
2. +250 for each press turn lost by an enemy attack
3. It increases by the amount of damage done per attack (ie, hitting for 30 dmg will increase the gauge by 30)
4. When attacked and the damage is reduced (be it by weak pierce effect on enemy vs a ndr demon, resist, or panels) the overbreak gauge increases by a set amount, depending on the amount reduced (generally between 37 and 75 per target hit). Multi target skills will increase by a lower amount per target than a single target skill.
1.Enemy hits a weakness
2.Party Member Dies
In the final stage of each area so far, the enemies all have full pierce aside from the overdrive skill on the non-boss enemies, which is an aoe non-piercing attack. It will be used on a set frequency by the enemy (roughly once every other turn), and this can be used to somewhat reliably increase the overbreak gauge.
Yotsuya - Physical
Akihabara - Fire
Shinagawa - Ice
Ueno - Force
Azabu - Electric
Yoyogi - Light
Sugamo - Dark